Saturday, June 18, 2011

Is it even possible?

We are Op Shop regulars, make a lot of our own various things, happy DIYers, resuables rather than disposable, try and grow our own etc. When I do shop I research usually. For groceries I online shop for the main stuff in bulk roughly once every three weeks, with f&v being from our local grocer weekly. I could go on but you get the idea. We are aware and we do aim to keep reducing our impact on the Earth. I know we are a long way away yet.

That said, I was down at the shops today... and I have to wonder what chance we really have of making a difference to the overwhelming munting of the planet that 'we' as a species are doing. Really. Everywhere I looked there were plastic bags, packaging, and plenty of completely useless indulgent consumerism. There were boxes of landfill (Huggies) being paid for at the checkout, along with the disposable everything else which was then packed in plastic bags for good measure. I was participating, really, just by being there and buying - even if I wasn't buying the overtly 'nasty' stuff, things I bought still had travel miles behind them, packaging etc...

Then there's the pictures of people canoeing through seas of plastic. Of animals dying in our leftover crud, our discarded consumption. Toxic waste spills. Really, there's thousands - endless - examples of what the human race in parts of the world is doing to kill the world for all mankind, animal and plant species.

Now, don't get me wrong. Clearly as much as I don't want to be, I am in some way a participant. I am a long way from where I want to be in regards to sustainability and what I buy. Some of it's lack of options, some of it's choice but I really do make an effort (and I know, others do too)... It's all relative whether you do a lot or not enough (and relative to what and who, as well) but I just wondered ...

overall, as a species, when plastics and chemicals and consuming is so ingrained into 'our' lives, what the heck chance there is of turning it around?


you know?

It's going to take big action. By big business and Government, by industry and by the law-makers because I think unless there's money to be made (or losses to be avoided) or forced compliance, far too many people/businesses/industries and individuals... simply don't care.

I know I know. Plenty of people DO care but that's not enough. It has to result in action, positive change, reversal. It's just every now and then you end up in that little 'holy snot how the hell can we reverse THIS'... so it's time to go visit some of my favourite Eco blogs, bake a loaf of bread (not in my solar oven but one day) and get inspired again, and back on the right mind-track.

Gavin's Post and a video within that post - 'Warning - Saracasm Alert'

4 comments:

Niki Jones said...

Can I get an AMEN.
Weighs terribly on my mind.
ALL THE TIME.
But quess what...we are about to go back to one car.
Madness. But worth it.
I walk the kids to school everyday & CJ carpools to work with his work guys.
Apart from the colossal costs of two cars, it makes me feel better.
Makes me more organised & it has less impact on the planet.
I hate that we both have these 8 seater cars driving around with one person in them half the time.
Oh how is OPJUNE, I fell off the wagon. But back on board. I hope you are all well.
Niki

Kristy said...

Way to go Niki on the transport. You'll def feel the savings not to mention the 'feel-better' factor. I think the only time we've had two cars is the changeover when selling one... I don't know where we would squeeze extra rego etc so you'll def feel that relief!

I would really like to be able to walk to school with the kids, it would be really great.

Op June I am about to post an update on. There's still time to climb on the wagon and make a dent, Niki ;) xo

Aurora said...

I struggle with feelings like this daily - not least because I know I have so far to go still in reducing my own impact, let alone contributing something actually restorative. But it is better to at least begin and to try with your everyday actions and ignore everyone else if need be. I used to be full of despair - now I just think, one way or the other, our destruction will stop - by choice or otherwise.

Aurora said...

I struggle with feelings like this daily - not least because I know I have so far to go still in reducing my own impact, let alone contributing something actually restorative. But it is better to at least begin and to try with your everyday actions and ignore everyone else if need be. I used to be full of despair - now I just think, one way or the other, our destruction will stop - by choice or otherwise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...