Sunday, February 07, 2010

1st Birthday - Quinn's all-fruit cake

The little guests on Quinn's invite list being mostly 12mths or so, they really didn't need so much sugar and I was thinking of different cake ideas through January when I came up with this. Very different to the kind of cakes I usually do. It's a solid cylinder of watermelon, with other fruit to decorate and biscuit cutters to cut out the shapes. Toothpicks to attach. The quickest cake I've done in a LONG time LOL and very satisfying to eat.  I thought it was a fairly original idea and haven't come across any other cakes like it - though that wasn't the aim when I made it.

Edited to add, I've since done a few versions of this 'cake'.  I've done Jake's cake for school with dino top, and I've done this one Cake #3 with inset fruit shapes as well.(pics at the end of this post)









The 'lolly bags' (thankyou bags) were a Baby 'onesie' gingerbread (the cutter from Sweet Themes - great product and excellent customer service) + the child's name spelt in individual gingerbread letters.

There were carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting with home made cake toppers because I couldn't find any rabbits to go on top to match his invites, the usual fruit kebabs (done on paddlepop sticks) and home made focaccia. The park also supplied grapes. Quinn had to have a snooze a few minutes into his party but I think you get away with it at his age!


Also here's his invitation - on the flip side were some of his newborn cutey photos and it said 'I've grown so much'.



Happy Birthday to our littlest man, Master Quinn. xo

(For more cake pics done over the years click on the 'cakes' label below)

eta here's the other versions of this cake that I've done.  Cupcake versions coming soon :)



with fruit inset into 'cake'


 dino version :)






24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "cake" is AWESOME!

Love it!

dixiebelle said...

Fantastic! That cake is a great idea... I will try to steal it one day! It all looks so good and so healthy and so home made!

dixiebelle said...

Oh, and happy birthday too!

kirsty said...

What a fantastic idea for a cake. Looks as spectacular as a regular sugary cake too :)

Found you through EB in case you are wondering who I am :)

Danielle said...

Looks awesome!

Is that solid watermelon? How did you get it so round?

Kristy said...

Thanks Kirsty and Danielle.

re 'how to' - take one oblong watermelon. Slice each end off (the melon, not your fingers!) with a sharp knife.

Then stand the melon on one end and cut down the sides of the melon removing the peel and the white as you go. Bit by bit and turn the plate so you take a little off then turn, then a bit more, then turn etc. Aim for an octogon or something first, then take off the 'corners'...
That's it really.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea for cake! Thanks for blogging and putting it on pinterest. We will try a fruit cake for my baby's first birthday.

Kristy said...

What's 'pinterest' LOL? I don't think I put it up there - be keen to see a link if you have one.

Thanks for your comment and hey, if you do one for your child's birthday, link back if you like - I'd love to see how you go!

Carla Belyea said...

http://pinterest.com/source/seemyfootprints.blogspot.com/ is where all the links are noted from different people who like your idea. Pinterest is an online virtual pin board where people "pin" links to photos of things that interest them. I have pin boards about crochet, sewing, food, etc. It is a visual way to keep my ideas organized. I saw this pin and was just coming back to the source (your blog) to see what it was all about. Great idea!

Kristy said...

Hey thanks for that Carla. :)

Taylor @ Mama Java said...

I also saw this on Pinterest, and this would be perfect for my 1 yr old. He has a dairy allergy and it's hard to find non-dairy cakes. Thanks for sharing your awesome creation! :)

Kristy said...

cake #3 is now up :)

http://seemyfootprints.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/cake-less-cake-fruit-cake-3.html

Emmas Bucket List said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fruit 'cake' idea!

teresa said...

We are making this "cake" for a baby shower. My daughter isn't a fan of regular cake, and has been craving nothing but fruit this pregnancy, so it was a perfect idea!!

Kristy said...

That's great you've found something your Daughter will enjoy! Hope it all goes well - post a link back if you get the chance :)

Good luck! Best wishes to your daughter and Family for the upcoming arrival.

Jo-Ann Yewchuk said...

Hi there. I love this cake idea as I know many parents who have children with diabetes and are celiac. I would love to showcase this on a segment on TV? With your persmission will give you credit for the idea and the link to your website. Great idea!

Kristy said...

Hi Jo-Ann

Glad you found the cake idea helpful :) You're most welcome to include it in your tv segment (with credit and link, thankyou).

It would be great if you can post a link to your segment when it airs - I would love to see what you did :) Best of luck with it!

Jo-Ann with Fine Frostings said...

Hi Kristy! Here is the link to my TV segment for the demo of the Watermelon Cake. Thanks again for letting me use the idea. It went great.

http://blog.finefrostings.com/2012/06/12/watermelon-cake-the-perfect-summer-treat/

Jo-Ann

Kristy said...

Hi Jo-Ann. Thanks for taking the time to post back with link - I'm looking forward to watching your tv segment if I can figure out how to get the vid working (I think in Aus we can't access it?).

The picture in your blog post looks fantastic (love the berries) and I am glad you got to make something special for your nephew Zack :)

Thanks again :)

For anyone else reading, if you can open the video link that Jo-Ann posted, you should be able to get a good idea of the step-by-step of the cake :)

Unknown said...

I loved your cake so much, I had to make my own! I would love for you to take a look! Thanks for the wonderfu1 inspiration!

http://jubilantjessi.blogspot.com/2012/07/watermelon-cake-and-movies-in-yard.html

Kristy said...

recipe has been published on Essential Baby http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/party-food/cakeless-allfruit-watermelon-birthday-cake-20120625-20xv0.html
if you've made it and would like to leave a review, please do :)

Ana said...

I love this cake. I am going to make it tonight for a friend and will make it as well for my son's first birthday in three weeks. I will send you a photo of it.

Thank you so much for this great idea!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Do you think you can make it a couple of days ahead?

Kristy said...

Hi there, thanks for your comment :)

unfortunately I don't think you could make it too far ahead. Really the fruit needs to be fresh, and because it's all cut and exposed to the air, it's got a limited life compared to baked cake.

So I'd suggest the morning of/day of would be best or as close to that as you possibly can.

Good luck and if you make one, I'd really enjoy seeing photos :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...